If there’s an older adult you know who’s isolated due to stay-at-home orders, here are a few tips for how you can be supportive:
- Check in on them regularly. Call and video chat just to say “I’m thinking of you” (and teach them how to video chat if they’re not familiar with it).
- Encourage them to do activities that they find enjoyable and that may be helpful, such as taking walks, stretching, listening to music, doing puzzles, reading.
- Offer to run an errand for them or bring them a meal.
- Send them a list of virtual events they might enjoy: live concerts, readings, museum tours.
- Tap into their experience and ask them for advice about getting through difficult times.
- Most importantly, let them know you care about them and are there for them. Express gratitude to them for being a part of your life.